When the mandible and upper jaw are not aligned, and the mandible is in front of the upper jaw, it is called an underbite.
The anterior mandible is one of the problems and wrong conditions related to the mouth and teeth that could have environmental or hereditary factors. Dental orthodontics is performed to treat problems related to improper pairing of teeth.
The front of the mandible can be of different degrees. In some people, this is severe forwardness; in others, there are milder degrees of jaw protrusion that may not be detectable.
The problem of an underbite also creates appearance and beauty problems for the person. In some cases, it also causes many other issues regarding dental health.
Maintaining the beauty of your mouth and teeth will be difficult when you have problems with misaligned teeth. Of course, if the problem of misalignment of your teeth is congenital, there is no reason why they are incurable. At present, the dentist can take appropriate treatment procedures to improve the underbite. An underbite is also treatable and will no longer be a permanent problem for people.
The Importance of Treatment of Underbite
Underbite can be called one of the most serious and difficult problems of the jaw and teeth because, in addition to a bad appearance, it can be a serious threat to dental health.
The disease can cause the following problems when the disease is in its severe state and is not treated in time:
- Inability to bite and chew food properly and eating disorders
- Speech disorder
- Tooth decay
- Pain in the jaw and mouth, neck, neck, and corners
- Enamel loss
- Gingival erosion
- Snoring problem
- Occurrence of oral infections
Three Ways to Fix Underbites
There are a lot of different ways to fix underbites. We discuss 3 of the most common ways to fix them.
- The first type of underbite we’ll discuss is a mild underbite. It’s when the bottom teeth stick out a bit, compared to the top teeth. in addition to the bite problem, a patient may have lots of crowding. For this type of underbite, a combination of braces and elastics can be used to fix the bite.
- The second type of underbite we’ll discuss is a moderate underbite. For a moderate underbite, elastics alone may not be enough. In these cases, we may recommend having permanent teeth extracted to fix the bite. In moderate underbite cases usually, the lower teeth are very protrusive and are sticking too far forward. Closing the space can help fix a moderate underbite and help reduce the protrusion of the front teeth.
- The last underbite correction we’ll discuss is a severe underbite. that is too severe to fix with braces and extractions alone. So for these types of cases, jaw surgery or orthognathic surgery may be recommended. Luckily most patients won’t require jaw surgery forever underbite. Correction but for certain patients jaw surgery can be life-changing.
So these are just three examples of how underbites are fixed. There are lots of different methods and, the only way to know for certain which one works best for you is to have a consultation with an orthodontist.
Correcting Front Teeth in Underbite
Correction of front teeth usually involves the use of orthodontic services. After the visit, Dr. Laleh may prescribe one of the following treatments:
The most common method is to correct the front of the teeth through braces or dental wiring. If you do not like the appearance of metal braces, you can use transparent braces that are less visible than all-metal samples.
Special orthodontics can be custom-made to fit the mouth.
Sometimes the teeth may be so large that surgery is needed to correct them. This option should be considered as a last resort.
Underbite Treatment by Orthodontics
One way to treat the underbite problem is to use dental science and orthodontics. Because orthodontics can solve this complication well and in addition to eliminating the problems of this disease, it can restore the appearance of beauty to people’s faces. In this case, the orthodontist will begin to treat the problem using orthodontic wires and braces.
Note that surgery to treat this problem occurs when the disease is more severe and does not respond to other treatments.
Underbite Prevention Methods
Some of the causes of Underbite are not preventable and controllable, but they can be prevented by correcting some of the wrong behaviours and bad eating patterns.
The best prevention method is to take your children to the best orthodontist before the age of 7 to check their teeth and diagnose oral problems so that if there is a specific problem in your child’s teeth, it can be easily solved.
Parents are also advised to control the use of bottles and pacifiers in their children and limit their duration so that their children will have fewer oral problems in the future.